Apply for “Undergraduate Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships 2024/2025”
The University of New Mexico offers Undergraduate Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships for undergraduate students who are US citizens, nationals, or permanent residents. These scholarships are available for students pursuing a variety of degrees at the University of New Mexico.
Scholarships range from $2,500 up to $5,000 and can be used to cover tuition and stipend with attending the University of New Mexico. To be eligible for these scholarships, students must meet the eligibility requirements outlined by the University of New Mexico.
Application Deadline: October
- Organization: The University of New Mexico
- Department: Education
- Course level: Undergraduate
- Award Amount: $2,500 up to $5,000
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic Students
- Eligible Countries: US Citizens, Nationals, and Permanent Residents
- Eligibility: Students can apply for undergraduate degrees offered at the University of New Mexico.
- The award can be taken in the USA.
The Latin American & Iberian Institute (LAII) at the University of New Mexico is pleased to announce a call for applications for Spring 2024 US Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships. These fellowships are available to undergraduate students enrolled at the LAII-affiliated Center for Latin American and Border Studies (CLAS) and are intended to support language study and research in the areas of Latin America, the Caribbean, and/or Iberia.
- US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents
- Full-time UNM undergraduates in any discipline may apply
- Students in the professional schools and STEM fields and those planning a career in US government service are highly encouraged to apply
- FLAS Fellowship recipients are required to complete at least 1 Latin American area studies (non-language) course and 1 Portuguese, Quechua, Nahuatl, or Yucatec Maya at UNM while holding the fellowship
- Undergraduate student recipients must be prepared to study one of the approved languages at the intermediate or advanced level.
- Students with or without financial need are encouraged to apply; however, among equally qualified students, preference will be given to those who can demonstrate financial need. As such, applicants should submit their FAFSA to UNM’s Office of Financial Aid at the earliest date possible and fill out a Financial Need Analysis Request Form to have their financial need information shared with LAII
How to Apply
To apply, please fill out the form at https://survey.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6zk7nooLJkgUHoW and submit your materials electronically. Your recommender should also email their letter of recommendation directly to LAII at [email protected].