Apply for “Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowships at ACS Green Chemistry Institute in USA 2024/2025”
ACS Green Chemistry Institute is seeking high-potential students to apply for its International Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowships in the USA. The programme is open for the academic year 2024/2025.
The applicant must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry. The fellow also must give an oral or poster presentation on his/her interest area during the conference and submit a report to ACS GCI on his/her experience after the conference to receive reimbursement.
Founded in 1876 and chartered by the U.S. Congress, they are one of the world’s largest scientific organizations with a membership of over 151,000 in 140 countries. Its mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners to benefit Earth and its people. Its vision is to improve people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry. As a non-profit scientific organization with more than 140 years of experience, they are a champion for chemistry, its practitioners, and the global community of members.
Why study at the ACS Green Chemistry Institute? ACS’s mission is to catalyze and enable the implementation of green and sustainable chemistry and engineering throughout the global chemical enterprise and society. It is advancing the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth.
Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowships at ACS Green Chemistry Institute in USA
Application Deadline: October
- University or Organization: ACS Green Chemistry Institute
- Department: N.A.
- Course Level: Undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate
- Award: $2,000
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: U.S. and international
- The award can be taken in the USA
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The fellowships will be awarded in Green Chemistry offered by the university.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- A young international scholar is defined as an undergraduate student and above but below the level of Assistant Professor and within the first seven years of a professional career.
- Applicants residing both within the U.S. and internationally are eligible for this award.
- The travel must be to a green chemistry technical meeting, conference, or training program. Students should consider attending the Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference. Award funds cannot be used to participate in the ACS Summer School on Green Chemistry and Sustainable Energy.
- The applicant must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry. Green chemistry is defined as the discovery and design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use and generation of hazardous substances.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Applications must be a single PDF file send to [email protected]with “Breen Fellowship Application – [applicant’s last name]” in the subject line and no longer than six, 8½-by-11-inch pages, written in a font no smaller than 11 points, with margins of at least 1 inch
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents at the university:
- Cover page (no more than one page) including:-
- Applicant’s name, department, institution (or company), and field of study.
- Name of applicant’s faculty advisor (or supervisor) and contact information.
- Name, date, and location of the conference or meeting the applicant is requesting funding to attend.
- Estimated budget for travel expenses, up to $2,000 (including conference registration fees, travel, and accommodations) to participate in the meeting. The award will be mailed as a reimbursement check after the conference. Meals/food is not a reimbursable expense.
- Essay (no more than one page):- by the applicant concerning their interest in green chemistry, including any previous experience with the field, how they will benefit from participation in the selected conference, and why they should be chosen to receive the award.
- A curriculum vita or résumé no more than two pages in length, including:
- Applicant’s name, department, institution (or company), and faculty advisor (or supervisor).
- Applicant’s mailing address, telephone, and email.
- A few sentences on the applicant’s green chemistry teaching or research interests and career plans.
- Field of study, degrees, education experience, GPA or other measures of class standing, and work experience (if any).
- List of recent presentations and publications (if any).
- Letter of recommendation: – from the applicant’s faculty advisor, supervisor, or department chair (no more than two pages in length). The letter may be sent separately or included with the other application materials.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must hold a previous degree certificate with remarkable results.
- Language Requirement: If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence of your competence in written and spoken English.
The ACS Green Chemistry Institute will receive an award based on the estimated cost of travel, accommodation, and fees associated with the event, up to $2,000. If two Breen Fellowships are given in any year, one of the awards will be given to an undergraduate student and the other to a graduate or post-graduate student.