Apply for “Bamberg Graduate Schools of Social Science International Starter Scholarships in Germany 2024/2025”
Doctoral candidates have an opportunity to become regular members of the Graduate School by applying for a scholarship. Bamberg Graduate Schools of Social Science (BAGSS) is pleased to offer the Starter Scholarships in Germany.
The program is open for highly qualified graduates from the fields of Sociology, Psychology, Educational Science, Political Science, Labour and Educational Economics, Demography and Statistics.
The University of Bamberg is a certified family-friendly University, which offers comprehensive advice on reconciling family and work life. Its BAGSS was established in 2010 and joins the Faculty of Social Sciences, Business Administration, and Economics with the Faculty of Human Sciences and Education at the University of Bamberg.
Why study at Bamberg Graduate School of Social Science? BAGSS is firmly committed to the goal of diversity and equal opportunities. It emphatically encourages applications from all backgrounds.
Application Deadline: April
- University or Organization: University of Bamberg
- Department: Bamberg Graduate Schools of Social Science (BAGSS)
- Course Level: Doctoral
- Award: 1.468 EUR per month
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: 2
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Germany
- Eligible Countries: Applications from all nationalities are acceptable
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded for the doctoral program in any subject offered by the university
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Highly qualified graduates in the fields of Sociology, Psychology, Education, Political Science, Labour and Educational Economics and Demography. Qualified graduates of related subjects with a strong Social Science background are also encouraged to apply.
- Candidates holding a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in one of the aforementioned subjects or being very close to completion. (The degree must be completed by the time of admission to BAGSS).
- Candidates with an excellent command of English. If English is not their native tongue, they will need to provide proof of English language proficiency.
- Candidates whose proposed doctoral research topic fits thematically with at least one of the four academic pillars of BAGSS.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: To submit an application, applicants must complete the online application form. In order to be considered for a Starter Scholarship, an application must include the following documents:
- In an online application form, applicants will be asked to name two referees, whom BAGSS could contact for a reference regarding their academic performance.
- A cover letter: demonstrates your acquaintance with our program and your qualifications in your subject area.
- Complete CV – including full contact information.
- An abstract of your research proposal of at most 1 page.
- Research proposal of the planned dissertation project (only one research proposal) on at most 4 pages.
- A work schedule
- Transcripts and certificates
- A short self-written statement about your knowledge of German.
- A concise statement on your knowledge of social science research methods.
- Note: Applicants must use their surname to name their application file (SURNAME.pdf; make sure to avoid special characters).
- Supporting Documents: All documents need to be submitted as a single PDF (max. 30 MB). In this single PDF, applicants must arrange their documents in the following order:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Proposal
- Work Schedule
- Academic degree certificates and university-grade transcripts
- Proof of language proficiency
- Short self-written statement about your knowledge of German
- Statement of knowledge of research methods
- Admission Requirements: Applicants should hold a master’s degree or an equivalent in one of the following fields: sociology, psychology, educational sciences, political science, economics, demographics, or statistics. Qualified graduates of related subjects with a strong social science background and with a research proposal fitting into BAGSS’s research profile are also encouraged to apply.
- Language Requirement: Applicants must have an excellent command of English. If English is not their native language, they will need to provide English language proficiency proof when being shortlisted and invited for an interview.
- BAGSS accepts TOEFL, IELTS or CAE scores or certificates. The English proficiency can be documented through:
- One of the following English tests: UNIcert III (pass), CAE (pass), TOEFL (minimum score of 95), IELTS (minimum band score of 7) –attach a copy of the official test results;
- Or an academic degree completed entirely in English, i.e. with a final thesis written in English. If their degree certificate and transcripts are not clear in that regard, provide a confirmation letter of English proficiency from the degree-granting institution.
- Exceptions are made for nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and New Zealand.
The Starter Scholarship is awarded for a one-year period only.
- During the award time, receivers are expected to develop an excellent research proposal that will be used to apply for further funding, e.g. for scholarships from the many German sponsorship organizations.
- The Starter Scholarship amounts to 1.468 EUR per month.
- Grant holders will receive support throughout their Starter Scholarship in identifying further funding opportunities.
- This support will be in form of workshops, mentoring, advisory services and access to a rich research community.
- In addition, scholarship holders are provided with office space, necessary equipment and funds for conference travel.
- Once having secured further funding for the next 2-3 years, candidates will remain doctoral members of the Bamberg Graduate School of Social Sciences and will continue to work in Bamberg under the supervision of their initial professors.